Named in honor of Georgia’s first Provincial Governor and Revolutionary leader, Archibald Bulloch, Bulloch County was formed from Bryan and Screven Counties in 1796. During the first 6 years of its existence, Bulloch County was without a courthouse while state officials debated where the county seat was to be located. The Bulloch County Superior Court was forced to meet in the private residence of Stephen Mills until a wooden courthouse could be erected in the newly designated county seat of Statesborough (now Statesboro) in 1803.
Bulloch County quickly outgrew the original courthouse and a new wooden courthouse was built in 1807. This building served the citizens of Bulloch County for 57 years until it was burnt down during the Civil War by the army of General William Tecumseh Sherman.
Following the aftermath of the Civil War and Reconstruction, Bulloch County was without a courthouse for thirty years due to difficulties raising the prerequisite capital. In 1894, the state legislature commissioned the construction of a new courthouse for Bulloch County and this building, although renovated and remodeled many times over the years, is still in use to this day. Currently, the Bulloch County State Court resides in the main courthouse, while the Bulloch Superior Court is housed across the street in the Judicial Annex, which was constructed in the 1990s.
The Superior Court is Bulloch County’s general jurisdiction trial court. It has exclusive, constitutional authority over felony cases, divorce, equity and cases regarding title to land. The exclusive jurisdiction of this court also covers such matters as declaratory judgments, habeas corpus, mandamus, quo warranto and prohibition.
The Superior Court corrects errors made by lower courts by issuing writs of certiorari; for some lower courts, the
right to direct review by the Superior Court applies. Unlike most circuits, the Superior Courts of the Ogeechee judicial Circuit also exercise Juvenile Court jurisdiction.